|Descendants of Martin Ryerson|
I believe he was the son of Peter Ryerson ( b NJ, 1778 of Ithaca NY) who is a descendent of Marten Ryerson ( Reijerszen) and Annetje Rapalje who settled in Flatbush, Brooklyn New York in 1663.
Generation No. 1
1. MARTIN RYERSON was born 1813 in Ithaca, NY and he died in March of 1882 in Ames, Story Co., Iowa. He married JENNIE SOPER in Ithaca, NY in 1860. She was born 1834 in NY and is the daughter of Cornelius Soper and Hannah of Chenango, NY.
He first married Harriet (unk) and is found living with his wife and daughter in the 1850 Tompkins Co., New York census. His daughter Louise later marries 1st Charles D . Humphrey and then 2nd Amasa Thayer and later lives in Ithaca, NY.
|1850 census||Ithaca||Tompkins Co.||New York|
|Martin Ryerson||37||Boat captain||300||NY|
|Name||Age||Sex||Occupation||Real Estate Value||Personal Estate Value||Birthplace|
|Martin Ryerson||46||M||Captain of Steam Boat||1600||500||NY|
|Harriett||42||F||(looks like DC or DO)|
|Louisa||2||F||Same as Harriett|
I do know that this is my Martin Ryerson in the 1870 Cayuga Co., New York and 1880 Marshalltown, Iowa census and he is now found married to Jennie Soper. They live with Jennie's son Thomas W. Hill ( alias, Thomas Barons according to will) and Stonewall Jackson Ryerson ( my great grandfather) and Arabella.
1870 Census Springport, Cayuga Co New York
|1870 census||Springport||Cayuga Co.||New York|
|Martin Ryerson||57||Boat carpenter||2000||NY|
In the 1880 Marshall Co., Iowa census
|1880 census||Marshalltown||Marshall Co.||Iowa|
|Martin Ryerson||61( 67?)||Barbing wire||2000||NY|
Steamer Sheldrake ( Martin was captain in 1868) according to Ithaca business directory for 1868-1869
Children of MARTIN RYERSON and JENNIE (SOPER ) are:
i. STONEWALL JACKSON RYERSON, b. June 1861, New York; d. June 30, 1931, Chicago, IL.
ii. ARBELL RYERSON, b. 1868, NY. married William Buckingham Welch ( son of Adonijah Welch and Eunice Buckingham) 22 May 1887 in Hamilton Co., IA.
Generation No. 2
2. STONEWALL JACKSON RYERSON (MARTIN) was born June 1861 in New York, and died June 30, 1931 in Chicago, IL. He married MARGARET CHESNUT, daughter of BENJAMIN CHESNUT and CATHARINE BRIGMAN. She was born September 04, 1864 in Chillicothe, MO, and died August 01, 1947 in Chicago, IL.
More About STONEWALL JACKSON RYERSON:
Burial: Mt Hope Cemetery Chicago, IL
Census: 1920, Chicago, IL
More About MARGARET CHESNUT:
Burial: Mt Hope Cemetery Chicago, IL
Census: 1900, Chicago, IL
Children of STONEWALL RYERSON and MARGARET CHESNUT are:
i. LU LU RYERSON, b. March 27, 1887, Sioux City, IA; d. September 12, 1958, US Army Base Hospital Frankfurt Germany.
ii. CARL RYERSON, b. February 1890, MO; m. MUNCIE ___; b. 1897, IL.
iii. BLANCHE RYERSON, b. 1891, MO.
iv. PEARL RYERSON, b. August 1895, Woodbury, IA.
Generation No. 3
3. LU LU RYERSON (STONEWALL JACKSON, MARTIN) was born March 27, 1887 in Sioux City, IA, and died September 12, 1958 in US Army Base Hospital Frankfurt Germany. She married WILLIAM LAWRENCE GRIFFIN June 16, 1913 in St Joseph, Michigan, son of MICHAEL GRIFFIN and MARY BEVAN. He was born November 11, 1887 in Chicago, IL, and died June 05, 1940 in Chicago, IL.
More About LU LU RYERSON:
Burial: Oak Hill Cemetery-Chicago IL
More About WILLIAM LAWRENCE GRIFFIN:
Burial: Oak Hill Cemetery
Children of LU RYERSON and WILLIAM GRIFFIN are:
6. i. LAWRENCE GRIFFIN, b. May 18, 1916, Chicago, IL.
7. ii. WILLIAM MICHAEL GRIFFIN, b. June 17, 1918, Chicago, IL; d. August 02, 1968, St Louis, MO.
4. BLANCHE RYERSON (STONEWALL JACKSON2, MARTIN1) was born 1891 in MO. She married FRED STOCKMAN 1912 in Chicago, IL. He was born 1890 in Sweden.
Children of BLANCHE RYERSON and FRED STOCKMAN are:
i. FRED STOCKMAN, b. February 08, 1914, Chicago, IL.
ii. BERNICE STOCKMAN1, b. 1916, Chicago, IL.
5. PEARL RYERSON (STONEWALL JACKSON2, MARTIN1)1 was born August 1895 in Woodbury, IA. She married DUCLO. He was born in IL.
Children of PEARL RYERSON and DUCLO are:
i. MARGERY DUCLO, b. 1903, Chicago, IL.
ii. RUTHE DUCLO, b. 1906, Chicago, IL.
Ancestors of William M. Griffin