#23 Beaver Mill Built: 1854 Destroyed: 1889
Location: Foot of Hepburn St. on the west side. at the chute.
The half adjacent to the river water water powered and owned by Taylor. The
north half was a steam mill and owned by others. Owners: Wm. Ballard and J.
Sampson bought vacant land 4-10-54 from J. Cameron. Cameron had bought it from
Updegraff and Armstrong between 1848and 1852.
Wm. Bronson bought vacant land from James Ransom in 1853.
Joseph Sampson. Wm. W. Ballard & Jervis Langdon sold land to
Herdic & Bronson on 4-11-54 for water mill. Herdic sold an interest in the land
to Wm. Bronson in 6-2-54.
From about 1854 to 1858 Loren Ensworth. Bronson. (Benj.
Henry Brooks. and David H. Tuthill owned the property which
included a saw mill built 1854 at foot of Hepburn St. property on west side of
Hepburn St. extending to the canal. a mill race along the Susquehanna about 2000
ft.. In the 1-13-58 partition Taylor. Brooks & Tuthill got the mill and property
at the canal (for storing and shipping lumber and half ownership of the mill
race. Bronson and Ensworth got the land to the west of Hepburn St. and half the
mill race and also use of the mill.
Ensworth 1-30-58 - 1861 (part water powered) Henry
Brooks and David H. Tuthill of Elmira were silent partners
buying part of Bronson's interest.. B.H. Taylor maintained partial ownership
until1884 when turned over to his son. Wm. Bronson sells his final portion of
ownership to Ensworth 1-12-59.
L.A.Ensworth & Co. (Co. is G. S. Post)I861 1867 (Ensworth
Taylor had partial ownership), G. Bedell Moore partner
Ensworth estate sold to Henry B. Smith. G. S. Post and Goo.
W. Rogers 4-24-68. Smith. Rogers, Armstrong & Blanchard sold to B. H. Taylor &
Co. on 4-27-74. B. H. Taylor & Son (S. Mack Taylor) (south half) 1868 -
(G.S.) Post (Henry B.) Smith & Co. (4-24-68 -
12-14-75**&12-21-75 Co. was M. Rogers.
Smith sold his interest to Post 10-31-71.
Beaver Mills & Lbr. Co.* 12-14-75 and 12-21-75 - 1878
Barrows & Co. 1873/74 - 1877 (leased) (Co. was Eugene R.
Houtz & Herdic 10-6-1875 - 1878
Chas. J. Langdon sold his share to John Arnot 6-22-86 who
sold it to Deemer 1-14-88. No deed mention of previous owner to Langdon. No
recorded deeds to C.J. Langdon. Probably Jervis Langdon's (father?) unsold
interest.. Steam mill not operated 1886 Rebuilt and enlarged by, Deemer in 1886.
Strong. Deemer & Co (north half) 1-14-88 - 6-1889 when
destroyed byfl ood. B. D. Green & A. W. Curtis listed 1879 in newspaper as
operating the Beaver Mills Weymouth. Byers & Co. 1883 - 1884 leased S. Mack
Taylor (south half) 1884 - 6-1889 destroyed by flood.
*Beaver Mills & Lbr. Co owned by Peter Herdic, Edmund
Blanchard of Bellefonte, Wm. H. Armstrong. Bought mill/land from Post
** The 12-14-75 sale sold all property of G.S.Post, who had
largely gotten it from L. Ensworth, for $104,000 which included the mill, land
adjacent to White, Lentz & White, land east of Hepburn St., etc. Comment: This
mill was a double mill. The south half was originally water powered and owned
for many years by B.H. Taylor & Son. The north half was steam and in the late
was owned by Strong Deemer & Co. Many different persons had partial share of
ownership as is evident from above deed transactions. When it ever was
completely owned by one person is unknown, if ever. The Hepburn Street dam was
completed in January1868. B. H. Taylor's half of the mill always water powered.
as long as they owned it. In 1875 it had 4 gang saws and a mulay. Esarly picture
on page 5. The company had a large planning mill nearby. Subsequent land use:
Junk yard., beltway, dike24 Built: 1860 Closed: prior 1873Location: West of
Grafius Run 1/8 mile (if Railway St. extended to the river, it was a short ways
west of that street. Owners: (Wm) McCann and (Richard C.) Paris 4-17-60 - ?
(Vacant land bought from Thomas Smith by Paris. )Eagle Shingle Mill prior 1873